Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
- Learning to dance is an investment that keeps on paying back. Of all the hobbies you may have, dancing is one which goes with you wherever you go in years to come.
Reviews & Testimonials
See what others have to say about us!
Great group of instructors. They work well together within the studio as well as with larger events held among the several area studios. Lots of group classes for no further... read moreJohn B.Alabaster F.
This review is long overdue. Anthony was awesome to work with and helped us choreograph our 1st dance together as Husband and Wife. He was very patient with us. We... read moreJordan H.
What a great place to enjoy music, friends, and dance. Arthur Murray Oakbrook Terrace is a place to enjoy the ballroom hiding in all of us! It puts you in... read moreBarb T.
Wow!!!!! Wow!!!! Wow!!!! I can only just applaud this wonderful team of instructors. They are some of the best in the business. They put their heart and sole into the... read moreArthur M.
I have wanted to take dance lessons for years and finally persuaded my husband to give it a try. It's been three months, and we both still enjoy it.... read moreBarbara T.
How do you spell “Rachel?” Well, I don’t know about you, but I spell it “W-O-W!” Rachel is leading a Core Rhythms class at Arthur Murray which I have... read moreJames S.
Ever since I saw Shall We Dance with Richard Gere and JLO - I have wanted to start dancing again. I finally had a chance in April 2012 to... read moreMe B.